Friday, December 10, 2010

Peanuts

---------------------------------------

I have always read Peanuts. It has always been in the newspaper. I, however have never actually enjoyed reading it. A couple of years ago, after reading something that Bill Watterson said about the strip, I gave it a real change - I read a couple of those Fantagraphics collections. Still, no go. I found them cute, but a little boring. I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. In issue 4 of Schizo Ivan Brunetti declares Peanuts as "The greatest postwar comic strip of all time" as well as "An epic haiku". How could I not give it another shot with such hyperbole from someone I admire so much?

So, the other day I picked up a copy of an old Peanuts collection from the sixties at a second hand store... and I was blown away. This time it really clicked for me. It's very heartwarming and sincere and at the same time it's utterly depressing. To me, reading Peanuts feels like reading a Jeffrey Brown comic. Vulnerable in its honesty. Good stuff.

I found it particularly funny to see the similarity between Charlie Brown and the way I represent myself in some of my comics. I'm kind of amazed that Peanuts hasn't been such a big influence on me. Going forward it likely will.

Ps. This comic is a total cop out and not nearly worth the tribute I am trying to pay. Forgive me, the next will be better.

3 comments:

Sam Spina said...

Yea it's pretty crazy how dark peanuts is sometimes! It's also crazy how timeless those comics are

orange is the new "i love you" said...

dude, Charlie Brown is sooo emo. also, how old is he? why is he reading and writing a book report on Gulliver's Travels? that's like a college-age appropriate book, or at least high school! he's way too young for that stuff, if you ask me!

Matt said...

I've never been much of a "Peanuts" fan, either. Maybe I need to give them another try, too.